That dark charcoal stuff is ground enhancer. Harder sells it and sometimes
you can find it on bulk in locations where the oil field is prevalent. I
think it is composed of aluminum sulfate and some form of salt.

I use it on a regular basis as it is a pretty big bang for your buck. The
trench, Cooper and everything is already there
. just put it on top. It is easy to measure the difference it makes
especially after the first big reason once it is dumped in.