On the other hand, I don’t think you need to design for as low as 6V.

From: Chuck McCown
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 1:58 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] GIGE-POE-APC Hot?

They don’t throw off much heat, the resistor is rated at 0.5 watt and it has
never failed.
I think the resistor is a 10K so at [60V – 1.2 V (for the LED)] Squared over
10K = 345 milliwatts of heat.

Not much heat to get rid of.

Temperature is a different thing.  The temp of the component will be high at
high voltages if you put your finger on it.  But it isn’t going to add much to
the active load and if it is running at 125F, your box raises another 20
degrees, 145F is not going to get too hot for the solder to melt.