For the typical WISP, I think it’s 3 facts:

Fact 1:  10% of customers are morons
Fact 2:  10% of customers will get an email account from you
Fact 3:  they are the same 10%

It sounds like Lewis had a lot of business customers with their own domains,
that’s maybe a different and possibly more attractive scenario depending on how
you structure it and, as he says, how much you charge.

People getting their email credentials compromised and used by spammers are a
constant problem.  And the people constantly getting a new iDevice and calling
from the iStore for help.  If these people don’t even understand how email
works, why do they want to get it on 5 different devices?  Can’t they just do
like the kids and send text messages?

It was easier when we mainly sold dialup and the job mainly consisted of
sitting in the office talking to people on the phone.  But spending an hour on
the phone with a clueless email customer is less fun when your network and
techs are mostly out in the field.

I compare it to the threads about WISP support, where some here say they don’t
get any calls because they don’t have network problems.  OK, so last weekend I
had a guy whose POE was plugged into a wall outlet controlled by a light
switch.  Another said “Linksys” was unavailable.  One guy bought a new laptop
and his WiFi password kept getting rejected – turns out he had answered “Dvorak
right handed” to the keyboard question, because he was right handed.  None of
this had anything to do with network problems!

So email support is like that, all the morons sign up for email from you, and
you have to support them.  Unless you structure things so you don’t support
them.  Do they call GMail for stupid support issues?  The problem might be you
probably sell them Internet, so it is hard to enforce a self-serve support
policy, they know where you live and will bug you until you help them.

Maybe one approach is to outsource all email customer support, to make the cost
per customer more visible.  Then compare to the revenue per customer.  Since
unlike the big guys, we aren’t making money from data mining.