Years of attrition in both cases. I think everybody was ready to be done with the war by then.

On 11/16/2015 3:04 PM, Mathew Howard wrote:
It seems to have worked okay in Germany and Japan... but that was a bit different. otherwise, I can't think of a case where it really ever has worked.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Chuck McCown <ch...@wbmfg.com <mailto:ch...@wbmfg.com>> wrote:

    My simple mind concludes whenever we go somewhere and attempt to
    alter the political landscape by force or dirty tricks it always
    makes things worse in the long run.  Has it ever worked?
    When the people decide to change their situation then there is
    sometimes lasting change.
    *From:* Faisal Imtiaz <mailto:fai...@snappytelecom.net>
    *Sent:* Monday, November 16, 2015 12:38 PM
    *To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
    *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] [WISPA] S'il vous plaît priez pour nos amis
    français
    I think you all are missing the point....  When it comes to
    foreign policy it is done with all sides involved, along with the
    give and take, when things go right, everyone stands up and says
    'We did it".... when something goes wrong, everyone stands up and
    says.. "He or She did it", and "I told you so otherwise".
    Excuse the language but ... 'We have been F**ing in other Gov.
    affairs, known and unknown for a very long time, and the results
    of such have consequences which linger for a very long time..'....
    It is easy to play armchair political analysts with a short term
    view, but the picture changes when the view expands with History..."
    case and point... How many here know and realize what is the cause
    of US  Iran's rocky relationship..... ?
    The roots of this is traced back to actions in the 1950's ....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat>
    (read the first sentence carefully, and then think of how you can
    have a conversation with them about democracy )
    While we is the west tend not to have long memories, and stay
    awake during History Classes, those affected, tend not to forget !
    Iraq is a similar deal...that country has Shia majority.... so it
    is very likely that any Democratically elected gov will be tilted
    towards the Shia's, that is not something US & Britain are in
    favor off, nor the regional Arab dictatorships... thus the status
    quo....
    Regards
    Faisal Imtiaz
    Snappy Internet & Telecom
    7266 SW 48 Street
    Miami, FL 33155
    Tel: 305 663 5518 <tel:305%20663%205518> x 232

    Help-desk: (305)663-5518 <tel:%28305%29663-5518> Option 2 or
    Email: supp...@snappytelecom.net