From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Gray
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 4:43 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] QoS with PPPoE? Where does PPPoE upstream queue reside?

Is there a way to use prioritization at the edge of a PPPoE connection?

I'm starting to work with some DSL modems. Most modems have options for
upstream QoS and require an upstream limit to be set (below the PPPoE
negotiated rate to function correctly). I've worked with several devices that
can do PPPoE and "QoS" but need a limit to be set lower than the PPPoE
connection.

Where does the PPPoE upstream queue reside? Is it on the client? Is there a way
to do any prioritization in the PPPoE queue itself (to maximize the actual
speed and not require an artificial bottleneck to achieve QoS goals)?

Thanks - Chris