It really depends on a few factors..

How may documents you have (1 or 2 thousand pages ? or 8-10 thousand pages ?)
What kind of docs they are ? nice stacks of paper all of the same size, i.e.
computer printouts ? Telcom Vendor Bills ?
or are they odd sized pages with staples and paper clips etc...

If you the are decently nice stacks of paper, with the right tool they become a
cinch to deal with.

We scanned our paper files inhouse, we purchased a high end canon scanner from
the secondary market (this was a while back). The canon high end scanners do
anti-gravity feed... i.e. they use rubber rollers and friction to pickup the
papers and as such don't have paper jams... (look at the DR3080 or higher
series... the usb ones are pretty easy to work with, stack 100 -200 pages and
let it do it's thing...)

You can do a neat pile of 1000 pages in no time..

There are plenty of folks who can scan the docs for you ..
Here is one who is our neighbor (in the same office park) http://forensis.com/

Regards

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom