I have a 1Gbps link working fine at -21dBm. About 4 miles using 20km modules. The next pair, pretty much same distance is at -10dBm. So something is obviously wrong with that first pair or a splice somewhere. These modules (MikroTik's and the FiberStore equivalent) will unlock at about -31. -24 is probably all I'd tolerate. 10Gbps I'm sure needs a little bit more budget.

On 3/1/2016 9:22 PM, Sterling Jacobson wrote:

Do you know the approx. route distance?

Was otdr shot on that line? Probably was by someone, but can you see if they have record?

Or get a local crew to shoot it and tell you the details.

Do you remember what the SFP module was reporting?

I have a 40km laser link between two CCRs and it should be able to make it easy, but there is loss and the logs on the CCR show that it has issues.

*From:* Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] *On Behalf Of *Andreas Wiatowski
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:54 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* [AFMUG] Mikrotik SFP+ 10GB

Wondering if anyone has guidance on what is an acceptable receive power level that a CCR will report on an SFP. I currently have an SFP+ module that is reporting a -18. This is a 40KM module�I originally put in a 20KM module and it was reporting a -40. I was getting only a one way link. The path I estimate is about 20KM that I am linking�and I�m unsure of the quality of splicing�it is dark fibre I have from a municipality�been running 1Gbps on 20KM SFP�s until now.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Andreas Wiatowski | CEO

Silo Wireless Inc.

Email andr...@silowireless.com <mailto:andr...@silowireless.com>

19 Sage Court

Brantford, Ontario N3R 7T4 (CANADA)

Tel +1.519.449.5656 Extension-600|Fax +1.519.449.5536 |Toll Free +1.866.727.4138