I don't disagree with you but I do wonder what the ultimate life of modern
singlemode fiber (G.652.D) is, assuming it's not physically damaged. Could
be more than 100 years?

The oldest outside plant fiber that's still currently in use is, as far as
I know, some of the 9/125 that was installed between Boston and New York in
the early 1980s.  But that stuff is very different from even a modern
singlemode from the dotcom 1.0 boom times around 1998/1999. A significant
amount of the MFN/Abovenet/360/Zayo fiber in Seattle dates from that time,
right around the year 2000, and there's no problem using it with modern
DWDM systems.