It's not, really, it's the fragility of layers 1 and 2...  all the BGP
sessions in the world and diverse upstreams won't help you if you're not
diverse and suffer backhoe fade, tornado, raccoon chew, drunk guy in a semi
truck taking out an entire utility pole, 40 pound chunk of ice falling on a
dish+radio, etc etc