The ones we have (Mitsubishi and "Trane") both run without the remotes. The
"Trane" has a small LCD and buttons so you can control without the remote.
The Mitsubishi has buttons also, but I don't remember what all it allows
you to change.

The remotes can be used as remote thermostats if you chose to enable it. We
just have the remotes mounted to the wall and forget they are even there.