Yes, all of the good quality ones only use the remote to set the desired
goal temperature, they run if the remote is entirely absent.

Also all of the good quality ones resume their previous setting after a
power outage (ex: if you have it set to 22C goal intake temperature and
high fan speed, that's what it will power back on as). Invaluable in the
developing world in places like Pakistan where the electrical grid is far
from reliable.

The funny thing about buying split-type ACs in the 12000, 18000 and 24000
BTU/h range is that they're far more expensive in the US than in places
like the UAE or Pakistan. I can get an 18000BTU/h LG in Pakistan for the
equivalent of about $650-700 (in the factory boxes, install it yourself).
In the US they're far more.