They do have a virtualized appliance now, but if you want the hardware appliance, you still have to buy it. My understanding of why they stop selling the software is that it still has to be validated to function on older devices - some of become unusable because of lack of memory as signatures expanded. Some of it is lack of desire to continue to support hardware that they themselves can't source anymore as well, I'm sure - it's all just x86 stuff.

I don't remember the whole history of the company, they were a different company name previously and acquired a Swedish corporation, in the restructure, they became Procera.

On 6/21/2016 12:33 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
If their product is the subscription service, they don't hesitate selling the subscription service. $2,500/year is better than $0/year.

Okay, so then don't cover the hardware anymore, software only. They should sell software-only to anyone at any time.

Procera has been around for 10 years? Hrm. I'da guessed four or five.

Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
The Brothers WISP <http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/thebrotherswisp>

<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSdfxQv7SpoRQYNyLwntZg>
*From: *"Simon Westlake" <simon@sonar.software>
*To: *af@afmug.com
*Sent: *Tuesday, June 21, 2016 12:29:50 PM
*Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] traffic priorities

Well, one of the things to bear in mind with Procera is that you are essentially buying the subscription service. Even though the box isn't cheap, the value of the product is really the subscription. One of the things that the support/subscription covers is next day air replacement on the hardware. So now, you bought some old beat up box off Ebay, and you want to put it under a support contract, and things get messy when the hardware fails.

So, I understand their reluctance - but they will do it. I'm mostly just advising caution because it's a complex arrangement - you want to make sure the box isn't EOL, you need to make sure it works, that you can still get expansion cards for it, etc. Sometimes these boxes on eBay look like a good deal, but there is a lot of factors to look at before you buy it, it's not a simple purchase. That being said, there are some deals to be had, and I've helped people navigate it, but I've also had to give people bad news after they snapped up some 10 year old, EOL unit for a 'steal'.