Back when I didn't know any better I would pull on the CAT6 divider with a pair of pliers so it came out of the jacket a little, then clip it off with dikes and let it fall back into the jacket. Without the extra width of the divider you can then crimp with a normal size plug.

I realize now that doing that might ruin the NEXT protection that the divider might have provided, so I would only do that in a bind. I try to encourage 5e with customers because it's easier. I tell them if they want gigE you should be able to do it with 5e. If you want 10 gigE you should just cut to the chase and run fiber.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Christopher Gray" <cg...@graytechsoftware.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 7/25/2016 1:54:22 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] Anyone Installing Cat6 / really thick Cat5e?

I just picked up some Shireen DC-2021 Cat6 cable, thinking I would start using Cat6 for my Mimosa installations (as suggested).

It turns out, the individual insulation is too big for any of my RJ45 ends, and the jacket is also too big. Now, I'm looking at Cat6A connectors (that have a staggered insert and a full shield). Next, I will need a new crimper that does not crush the shield on the Cat6A connector.

Anyhow, it seems like a lot of work to use Cat6 where some ToughCable and basic shielded RJ45 connectors might be functionally equivalent.

Should I be seriously considering Cat6? When did you decide Cat6 was worth it?

-Chris