From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Adam Moffett
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:56 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Special Assessment

I'm more in Travis's camp, but maybe for different reasons.  The accounting and
auditing stuff hasn't been difficult to deal with....if you're keeping good
records anyway, then it's not bad.  You may just have to be more anal than
you're used to.  For everything we bought with the people's money we had to
keep track of where it was installed and demonstrate that it actually was
installed where we said (with photos, etc).  Then an auditor came by to double
check that we weren't making it all up.

I agree the gov wants you to have a sound plan before they'll fund you....and
that if you really had a sound plan then a bank would fund it.

I think one difference is that if the bank doesn't understand what you're
doing, they'll just say no because it's not safe for them to get involved in
things they don't understand.  If the bureaucrat doesn't understand it they'll
listen to you and pretend they're getting it.  The other funny thing is that I
don't think the projects chosen for funding are always the best
proposals....sometimes it's the people who talk the best line of BS or who have
support from the right people.

I'm a cynic, and my involvement in funding is peripheral, so take my 2c with a
grain of salt.  Sterling's idea is interesting and I hope he's successful with
it.  I'm not trying to be a killjoy.