You lose ~3db from the cross to linear polarization difference.
But I assume you win ~3db from the incoming signal now being received and
summed by 2 antennas.

>From my understanding, say you have 30db signal. Instead of getting signal
A on port A at 30db and signal B on port B at 30db, you get:
-signal A on port X at 27db and port Y at 27db, the latter out of phase
90deg due to polarization
-signal B on port Y at 27db and port X at 27db, the latter out of phase
90deg due to polarization

The chipset used in ePMP sums up both (out-of-phase) signals for A and gets
a 30db signal, same for signal B.

Whether the chipset in other wifi products does the same is unsure, but I
assume most modern Atheros chips do it.