I think (but I don't know for sure) that it also makes a difference which phase you're on. Most homes have split phase power, where half the breakers are on phase A, and the other half are on phase B. If you go through the outlets in a typical room, they will alternate phases as you go around the room. First plug is phase A, the next is phase B, then back to phase A, and so on.

If the homeplug signal is propagated on the hot lead, then you must lose it altogether when you have to jump phases? IDK, but I've always wondered.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 8/19/2016 7:05 AM, Chuck McCown wrote:
As well as noise generators on the circuit.
*From:* Bill Prince <mailto:part15...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:10 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] BPL / Homeplug

With homeplug, it's not how close individual plugs are located because they have to go through the breaker panel. If the panel is 3 floors away, then the signal has to go down to the breaker panel, and then back up to the other homeplug unit. The total distance is the issue.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>