Subpanels add another level of separation. Typically all the neutrals are bonded to ground in the subpanel, which then get bonded again in the main panel. I can't help but think that the bonding in the subpanel will attenuate the signal getting to the main panel. If the two outlets are both going to the same subpanel, you're probably OK. However, if one plug goes to the subpanel, and the other goes to the main panel (or yet another subpanel), then I think you're going to have problems.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 8/19/2016 9:14 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
Yeah the total wire distance.  Understood.
This utility room has it's own subpanel which is newer than the rest of the wiring in the building. If they made a new home run for this sub panel then it might be 100+ feet of extra wire to get there. I've read the best case distance for homeplug is 300m, but maybe half that in real life. It's hard to believe they can't go a little farther. If 300m is the best we can hope for, then why did any ISP ever think BPL would work for last mile distribution? Was BPL radically different from homeplug? Something like 10meg at 1000m would be more useful to me than gigabit across the room.
------ Original Message ------
From: "Bill Prince" <part15...@gmail.com <mailto:part15...@gmail.com>>
To: af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
Sent: 8/19/2016 1:10:57 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] BPL / Homeplug

With homeplug, it's not how close individual plugs are located because they have to go through the breaker panel. If the panel is 3 floors away, then the signal has to go down to the breaker panel, and then back up to the other homeplug unit. The total distance is the issue.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>