Can't do math it appears. I was thinking 5000 subs. Sorry.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 9:47 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Fw: Google Fiber information
Your numbers are confusing me, $250M for 5M subs would be $50 per sub. And
supposedly Google spent $1 billion on Kansas City alone and the number of
$1000 per sub is thrown around for urban FTTH.
It also seems Rory is including the cost not just to build out FTTH, but to
do it on an accelerated schedule and to do the marketing and promotions to
get to 85% take rate.
Another takeaway I haven't heard much discussion about is that reportedly
Google TV has been a dismal failure. I'm not sure what their subscribers
are using for their TV, probably OTT services?
-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck McCown
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 10:23 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [AFMUG] Fw: Google Fiber information
I don't know why you would think it takes $250M to do 5M subs. I do
construction in high density residential all day long at 5-10% of that cost.
-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck McCown
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 9:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Google Fiber information
I am talking about Eagle Mountain Utah. Lots of starter homes and super
stingy young Mormon families. 85% happens. It truly does.
-----Original Message-----
From: Rory Conaway
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 8:57 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Google Fiber information
I understand that there are areas where you might have an 85% but that was
before the days of half of all households have someone on public assistance.
And if you notice, Google only cherry picked high income areas. If I
targeted only Scottsdale with houses that average $1M and up and my
competitor was crap, I'd get a high uptake also. Most of our areas are
middle class, lower-middle class, and even below that. Budget matters,
people are skeptical, and the effort needed to convert them is much higher.
As for the 5M number being realistic, depends on the investment and the
market. If you are just targeting residential internet, it's going to be
very, very expensive, like north of $250M to get there within 5 years unless
you just buy everyone up. But there are a lot of people in this country and
with average incomes at $30K, a lot of opportunity. I also believe it's
possible to go much higher than that. DSL is collapsing and the cable
companies are following the same stale path they always do without any real
innovations.
Rory
-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Seth Mattinen
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 11:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Google Fiber information
On 8/26/16 6:05 PM, CBB - Jay Fuller wrote:
i thought it was a rooter?
Only in Canada.