I'm including all the costs of the entire company, not just the cost of 
deployment of each house.  And each house is about $300 average deployment.  
With all due respect, and adding in all the costs of deploying in a typical big 
city suburb and the time frame involved, 2 years, I'd like to see how you 
calculate that at being able to do 5M homes for $12-$25M dollars.

Rory

-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Chuck McCown
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 8:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [AFMUG] Fw: Google Fiber information

I don't know why you would think it takes $250M to do 5M subs.  I do 
construction in high density residential all day long at 5-10% of that cost.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck McCown
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 9:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Google Fiber information

I am talking about Eagle Mountain Utah.  Lots of starter homes and super stingy 
young Mormon families.  85% happens.  It truly does.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rory Conaway
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2016 8:57 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Google Fiber information

I understand that there are areas where you might have an 85% but that was 
before the days of half of all households have someone on public assistance.
And if you notice, Google only cherry picked high income areas.  If I targeted 
only Scottsdale with houses that average $1M and up and my competitor was crap, 
I'd get a high uptake also.  Most of our areas are middle class, lower-middle 
class, and even below that.  Budget matters, people are skeptical, and the 
effort needed to convert them is much higher.

As for the 5M number being realistic, depends on the investment and the market. 
 If you are just targeting residential internet, it's going to be very, very 
expensive, like north of $250M to get there within 5 years unless you just buy 
everyone up.  But there are a lot of people in this country and with average 
incomes at $30K, a lot of opportunity.  I also believe it's possible to go much 
higher than that.  DSL is collapsing and the cable companies are following the 
same stale path they always do without any real innovations.

Rory


-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Seth Mattinen
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 11:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Google Fiber information

On 8/26/16 6:05 PM, CBB - Jay Fuller wrote:
>
> i thought it was a rooter?


Only in Canada.

Reply via email to