The SFP  spec will have an absolute maximum RX level.  If I remember correctly,
last one I checked was higher than the max TX level of 4 dBm.  Seems like the
absolute max RX was something like 16 or 20 dBm.

From: Eric Kuhnke
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:41 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Single mode attenuators needed at 30m

Those are totally safe to use with even a 1 meter fiber patch cable between two
pieces of gear in the same rack.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:39 PM, TJ Trout <t...@voltbb.com> wrote:

  1310 10gb 10km

  On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuh...@gmail.com> wrote:

    What frequency and tx power of singlemode?  You do not need to attenuate
1GbE 1310nm LX (5-10km reach) or 10GbE 1310nm LX optics for very short
distances. Tons of ISPs use all 1310/LX optics for intra-rack and intra-suite
fiber XCs because they're cheap, easy and multimode is dumb.

    If you are using optics which are marketed as capable of 20, 40 or more km
reach (and/or 1490nm, 1550nm optics) you do need to attenuate on the Rx.