My humble suggestion:-

invest in a light meter. not need to guess..
Get a $50 unit from FS.com or amazon... they are not junk, and get the job
done.

Standard optics (SMF) 10km should be fine with shorter cables.
LR (Long Range) 40K or up... you can have them overload the receiver...

A tip shared from the field....
Keep an #2 pencil handy.... if you need to make an attenuation in a hurry !...
take the fiber cable and start warping it around the pencil as tightly as you
can ..
and tape it so that it does not unwind.

I have tested this .... using a light meter... and yes it does work, you may
need to give it 15 or more turns....

BTW those optics putting out 4db those are meant to light up 40km or 60km
links.. but are also used in link where there is lots of loss expected due to
Mux/Demux or other passive device..
and yes you don't want to use these with a short cables :)

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, FL 33155