I spent all june on a trip all over europe.  first 2 weeks was with a bunch
of high schoolers in a student trip that visited over 14 cities and the
other 2 week with my family.  The first trip was with a Student trip
company, EF tours and was student priced trip! the other 2 weeks we did
Barcelona + Cruise and private tours.

The student trip was good in a way that we stopped at some great not so
turisty places! In italy We did, Venice, Rome, Pisa, Naples/Mt. Vesuvius,
Capri, Florence, Sirimione(Lake Garda)

We loved Capri, Sirimione, Venice.  We are going back next year with more
days alloted to each! Some were just a Cruise stop.

Rome/Vatican/Florence are places that you need to check of your list but
are really touristy and busy. Pisa is just the tower, but it is amazing!

Depending on your schedule, i can make some recommendations.  but if you
are jumping the pudge, i would ad some other european cities as well.