Our party system is out of control.  We look down at areas of the world where
politics is tribal, but here we just call it party instead of tribe.
Politicians are described as R or D, rather than who they are supposedly
representing, and they are expected to follow the party line.  Worse, the
parties fall down miserably on their one job which is to find, groom and run
qualified candidates.  The Republicans are particularly at fault, yeah they had
18 candidates, all second rate.  If there had been a first rate candidate for
people to rally around, we wouldn’t have the Trumpster.  I distinctly remember
this being how we got George W. Bush, the GOP couldn’t come up with any good
candidates, so they went to someone with name recognition.

Then there is the problem of getting “primaried” from the left or right, plus
the gerrymandered House districts.  I hate to say it, but we were probably
better off when candidates were picked in “smoke filled rooms”, the current
primary and convention system is seriously broken and needs to be replaced with
something completely different.

Bobby Jindal (remember him) famously told his party it needed to stop being the
“stupid party”, he was not a particularly strong candidate, but in light of
what’s happened since, it’s interesting to read his critique:

http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/279243-jindal-republicans-must-stop-being-the-stupid-party

I checked and he didn’t invent the stupid party idea:

“We have two parties here, and only two. One is the evil party, and the other
is the stupid party. ... I'm very proud to be a member of the stupid party. ...
Occasionally, the two parties get together to do something that's both evil and
stupid. That's called bipartisanship.”

- M. Stanton Evans