it’s a really serious issue .. we deal with this daily (open/vulnerable
routers, infected customers etc)

We know our network is fairly robust in that regard but the challenge we are
faced with is education of end customers and trying to enforce AUP with them.
If we use the manpower to track down these customers and help them, that’s a
challenge in itself that is typically met (in the average ISP) with resistance
as it’s sometimes significant manpower with zero additional revenue gain.  If
we do enforce stringent AUP on them with “three strikes” kind of approach then
we’ll lose customers that can sign up with the competition that probably won’t
do any enforcement - then we end up with lost customers who think we’re jerks ….