Takeaway quote:  the Internet is “vulnerable to toasters”.

I’ve got to suspect most of these cheap Chinese webcams (i.e. 90% of them) and
other devices are only accessible via a public IP address because of UPnP.  And
apparently they are forwarding not just HTTP and HTTPS through the router but
also telnet and SSH.  Death to  UPnP!  We don’t enable it when customers lease
routers from us.  These cams should be using some sort of proxy in the cloud to
relay the video, not port forwarding on the customer’s router.

I also suspect a lot of these are outside the US.  At the risk of opening up
the dreaded “NAT is not a firewall” and “IPv6 is great/terrible” debates, how
does IPv6 not increase the IoT threat?  What is the typical setup for an IPv6
enabled customer with toasters and webcams that get public IPs?  Does the
router from the ISP or supplied by the customer still implement a stateful
firewall so that inbound traffic is blocked unless a connection has been
established by outbound traffic or a port forwarding rule?  Or are there IPv6
toasters with web and CLI access wide open?  Does UPnP still exist with IPv6?
Maybe it’s no more of a problem with IPv6, but then I still wonder, why are so
many IoT devices accessible via telnet to exploit the hardcoded default
passwords?  Maybe it’s not our customers buying cheap webcams at Costco, maybe
it’s really businesses putting their security cameras directly on public IP
addresses?