we just got up two bind dns servers, turned out to not be all that
complicated, uses very little resources for our size network. Ill get shot
for saying it, but I used webmin, made it really simple, just make sure you
ACL the webmin port to your managment IPs and ACL your recursion to your
customer IPs. We did the ACLs on a mikrotik thats external to the server.
We had considered what you asked, but as part of the routing infrastructure
it didnt seem appropriate, leave the routers to route. Even dropping one in
as a dedicated box didnt seem appropriate as it is not its defined purpose.
And when SHTF for whatever, and we would have needed to reach out, getting
help on BIND issues would be a whole lot more likely than getting fast and
efficient help on a wrong purposed router.