Hi Jamie, 

Happy Thanksgiving.... 

I would be interested in seeing some pictures of these that you are describing 
(if possible) and also if you have any ref. / docs/ explanation of the 
'Franklin Method'.... 

Regards. 

Faisal Imtiaz 
Snappy Internet & Telecom 
7266 SW 48 Street 
Miami, FL 33155 
Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232 

Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected] 

> From: "Jaime Solorza" <[email protected]>
> To: "Animal Farm" <[email protected]>
> Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 4:33:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] CAT5e/6 tower grounding

> We ground all cables from antennas and/or radios at top by mast/tower and 
> before
> it enters cabinets...we use two or three points depending on length of cable
> runs. As I have stated before, we use an aerial rod with as a direct path to
> ground rod/ring we can install.
> We use the Franklin method which has worked well for us whether is an MDS,
> Schneider or Freewave radio using Heliax RF cable or a POE powered type radio
> such as Ubiquiti , Mimosa or Cambium using Ethernet cable.

> Happy Thanksgiving

> Jaime Solorza
> Wireless Systems Architect
> 915-861-1390

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Faisal Imtiaz < [email protected] >
> wrote:

>> There is a reason for grounding anything ...

>> Just connecting stuff for the sake of connecting to ground is not a good 
>> thing,
>> actually is a bad thing.

>> There is a reason why the outer core/conductor shield of LMR cable is 
>> connected
>> to the ground using the kits being described, and typically that reason does
>> not apply to the doing the same with Shielded Ethernet cable.

>> I would strongly suggest that folks try to gain an understanding on what they
>> are doing and why they are doing it, rather than hey I see him do this so I 
>> am
>> going to do it as well... :)

>> There are a number of great documents that address what to do and why to do
>> so.... one such article was / is done by Chris S of Netonix ( posted in the
>> netonix forums), pretty comprehensive, and done with adequate explanations.

>> Regards.

>> Faisal Imtiaz
>> Snappy Internet & Telecom
>> 7266 SW 48 Street
>> Miami, FL 33155
>> Tel: 305 663 5518 x 232

>> Help-desk: (305)663-5518 Option 2 or Email: [email protected]

>>> From: "Adam Moffett" < [email protected] >
>>> To: [email protected]
>>> Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:18:51 AM
>>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] CAT5e/6 tower grounding

>>> I've never tried those ground kits in real life. I'm assuming you wouldn't 
>>> use
>>> them on a foil shielded cable but rather one with armor.

>>> I don't think I would do it unless the tower owner made me do it. Even 
>>> where I
>>> was told it had to be R56 the guy doing the inspection was happy with an SS 
>>> at
>>> the bottom for the Ethernet.

>>> ------ Original Message ------
>>> From: "That One Guy /sarcasm" < [email protected] >
>>> To: " [email protected] " < [email protected] >
>>> Sent: 11/22/2016 8:17:26 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] CAT5e/6 tower grounding

>>>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Chuck McCown < [email protected] > wrote:

>>>>> Lots of opinions about this. R56 doesn't really apply too well to things 
>>>>> that
>>>>> are Ethernet and POE.
>>>>> Try to bring all grounds back to a single point. Bond things together 
>>>>> like the
>>>>> ice bridge to the tower so you are not counting on the mechanical 
>>>>> connection to
>>>>> also be the lightning circuit.

>>>>> People using my products use the grounding RJ45 plugs which interconnect 
>>>>> to my
>>>>> surge protectors.
>>>>> You never know which direction the surge will be coming from either. Many 
>>>>> times
>>>>> it comes in on the power.

>>>>> -----Original Message----- From: Dev
>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:54 PM
>>>>> To: [email protected]
>>>>> Subject: [AFMUG] CAT5e/6 tower grounding

>>>>> I’ve heard it’s good to ground multiple places, like up by the radio, 
>>>>> down by
>>>>> the turn to the ice bridge and inside the shelter, but how do you that 
>>>>> (and is
>>>>> it necessary) with CAT5e/6? Do you strip a section off the insulation and 
>>>>> tie
>>>>> the drain wire to multiple ground lugs? Sounds hard to do and not get 
>>>>> water in
>>>>> the cable. I just have been running surge suppressors inside the building 
>>>>> that
>>>>> the cable plugs into before heading to the switches/etc. What should I be
>>>>> doing?

>>>> --
>>>> If you only see yourself as part of the team but you don't see your team 
>>>> as part
>>>> of yourself you have already failed as part of the team.

Reply via email to