you know, today is a good day to remember that we are pretty blessed to be
able to have these opinions, disagreements, and even hatreds of one
another, without any real fear of retribution. I make sure my kids are
aware there are children today who arent celebrating, and not just because
their nation doesnt celebrate thanksgiving, theyre busy living in fear of
anything from torture to death or worse, starvation, a plethora of terrible
things. I also remind them there are kids here in the usa who whether
because of finance, or immigration status, or any one of a number of
terrible alternatives wont be sitting around an overflowing table listening
to adults complain. not that thanksgiving actually has anything to do with
a feast between indians and pilgrims, but those smiling indians in the
school pictures are currently being hosed down because they feel treaties
have been violated. Im very thankful to have been put in a position I only
need to talk to my kids about this, and not have to explain why theyre
living it. I might be a prick, but im not unaware of how good we all have
it.
and this list, without which I would have been unemployed years ago