Yes, that is also true.... so here is the chicken or the egg question...

Did the ILEC's focus on fiber (specifically Ethernet) when they were told by
the FCC that they have to share, provide access to the TDM services (copper &
fiber) on an regulated basis to other competitors, and there were not going to
be able to dismantle that at any cost? or because there was a shift in
technology ?

Why 'Ethernet', specifically because during the 'deregulation' "forbearance"
proceedings, the Telco's were able to do a technical contortion to define
'Fiber' & 'Ethernet' as not being subject to Regulation (having to provide them
to their competitors on a regulated wholesale basis, but only via unregulated
commercial agreements)

:)

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom