Your portrayal below is what I can best describe as 'understanding of how the
Titanic Sank' from having watched the Movie.

What I mean by that is, you have gotten the jist of it correct, but you have no
feeling of the depth of the shenanigans which were involved.

While some circles have argued that Duopoly was acceptable to the ILEC's, my
personal opinion is that only happened after the Supreme Court Case of BrandX.
(Which solidified the Cable Operators position of not having to provide
competitive access on their network).

While we talk about copper wires, we often forget that the obligation to share
access to copper wires was a requirement due to the ILEC's being funded by
public funds, which allowed them to build their network.

When it came to sharing, the ILEC's quickly saw that new startups can and will
eat their lunch in the near future, unless they got back to calling the shots.
They like being a monopoly... these days, it is Fiber, Internet and Video (TV
Content).

Just look at the acquisitions... (all rules which could be dismantled, have
been dismantled, new rules were put in place regarding new media, which would
make it more challenging to address,)
If you don't believe me, see what is happening with VOIP and ATT.... VOIP =
unregulated (loosely speaking) when compared to POTS lines...

We have seen ATT bills, quietly changing POTS line billing to showing them as
VOIP lines on their Uverse Bills.... Guess why ?

Most of us tend not to realize how much $$$ is in Telecom...
For every nation, Telecom tends to be a significantly large part of the GDP,
and it is all $$$ made from vapor (electrons).
So it is understandable why there is such a close relationship between Telecom
and any Gov.

:)

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom