Because it gives the appearance that government is favoring a specific
religion, in violation of the 14th amendment.  It shows a lack of
separation of church and state.  If we are going to allow christian
displays on public property then we also have to allow the Church of Satan
to erect Baphomet as well.  The issue is that Satanic churches, Muslims,
and Secular belief systems are not given the same rights as Christians.
Just look at the Atheists and agnostics who have attempted to give the
opening invocations at our legislature meetings all over the country, and
the reactions that they got.  They have been berated and disrespected.
This is the ground zero for the establishment of a government-favored
religion.

"*The claim that America was founded as a “Christian nation” is at best a
gross over-simplification and at worst a myth fabricated in order to
manipulate contemporary sensibilities*.  Many of the prominent “Founding
Fathers,” were in fact not Christians in the sense that contemporary
evangelical, mainline Protestant, and Roman Catholic churches understand
the term.  George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Benjamin
Franklin, and a host of others were Deists, or at least influenced by deist
philosophy.  They conceived of God as a divine watchmaker – this
impersonal, inaccessible deity set the universe in motion then sat back and
watched history unfold completely independent of any transcendent
intervention, miracles, or divine-human relationships (Jefferson famously
edited the New Testament to remove all references to Jesus as a divine
miracle worker and render him merely a moral philosopher).  The position of
these Founding Fathers was far from any orthodox theology of divine
immanence.

Further, the idea that the United States could be a “Christian nation” is
theologically problematic.  The only “Christian nation” which the New
Testament envisions is the Kingdom of God, which transcends national,
cultural, and ethnic boundaries.  Were the United States to be a “Christian
nation,” she would have to do more than celebrate Christmas as a federal
holiday and display the Ten Commandments in her courthouses.  If she were
held to the same standards to which the New Testament holds the Christian
community, the United States would have to embody Christian principles,
including the mandate to love one’s enemy, eschew power, put away the
sword, give freely without any expectation of repayment, and – because she
is very rich – sell all her material possessions, donate the proceeds to
the poor, then take up a cross of discipleship.  The consumerism and
materialism which characterize so much of the American ethos – Jefferson’s
“life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” was a modification of John
Locke’s “life, liberty, and the pursuit of property,” and indeed most
versions of the American Dream equate property with happiness – seem to be
at odds with most versions of core Christian values.  In short, the United
States is not a “Christian nation,” and simply displaying representations
of the Ten Commandments in public locations does not change this reality."