Smokeping would work, you'd just need to run on a longer cycle. If it's only a few different devices, you can probably run it on a 60 second interval safely enough. Rather than sending 1 ping a second, sending 10 or 20 every 60 seconds will give you a pretty good look at jitter, latency, and packetloss across the network.

If you're trying to troubleshoot a known issue and you want more granular data, you could look at something like PingPlotter over a short period of time.