Agreed, I think you will find out more by sending a burst of 10 pings every 1-5
minutes.  Now you can calculate and plot packet loss as well as min/avg/max
latency.  One lonely ping doesn’t tell you much.  We do it with PRTG but I
suspect most network monitor tools can do this.

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Bill Prince
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:25 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Ping monitoring?

We use a cacti plugin called "Advanced Ping". It will perform a group of pings
every polling period. We don't use it on every client, but use it on ones that
we know have occasional latency and/or packet loss issues.

We generally have it do a barrage of 10 pings every polling period (once every
5 minutes, or once every 1 minute depending on the cacti configuration). It
records min/max/average latency, and also % packet loss. Puts the info into a
graph.

Looks like this:

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>