We use a cacti plugin called "Advanced Ping". It will perform a group of pings every polling period. We don't use it on every client, but use it on ones that we know have occasional latency and/or packet loss issues.

We generally have it do a barrage of 10 pings every polling period (once every 5 minutes, or once every 1 minute depending on the cacti configuration). It records min/max/average latency, and also % packet loss. Puts the info into a graph.

Looks like this:

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>