To those of you out there using Proxmox, I have a couple questions.

I started messing around with this a year or so ago, but have really just
started to use it in a production environment.

The main thing I'm wondering about is if it is necessary to have a separate
storage server in place to operate a cluster, or if it is possible to use
the drive(s) on each node.

Additionally, is a separate storage server necessary to do backups? It
isn't obvious to me that there is any way to create or store a backup
without some sort of network storage that is external to the node(s).

I'm obviously new at this virtualization / container thing, so, sorry if
these questions sound stupid.

TIA

-Jason