You can use it either way... our first & 2nd iterations were using local
storage on each promox host node. We would store daily backup on an external
storage box (NFS, Freenas, Zfs etc). and simply restore the KVM from backup in
case of node failure.

There are folks who used external common storage and as such moving/ restoring
vm's was easy.

Our current iteration is using Proxmox v4 Host+CEPH Node cluster of 3 + 2
additional Host Nodes.
(3 HOST are dual purpose, they are being used as Proxmox Hosts as well as CEPH
nodes). This configuration while heavy on the hardware, allows for potential
loss of 2 of the storage nodes while still operating.

> Additionally, is a separate storage server necessary to do backups? It isn't
> obvious to me that there is any way to create or store a backup without some
> sort of network storage that is external to the node(s).

Highly recommended.. for multiple reasons...
you can create a local data partition (if your local storage is large enough)
and store backup's locally.

In our first & 2nd gen, we were doing two backups every day.. one to local
storage and 2nd to external storage.

> I'm obviously new at this virtualization / container thing, so, sorry if these
> questions sound stupid.

The only question that is stupid is one that is not asked :)