Yes, that is an offense. The person who dropped the classified material did not
take appropriate action to prevent you from seeing it. Depending upon the
classification level, that guy could be in serious trouble.

I was one of two people who had a TS-SBI clearance at the facility I worked in.
There were several procedures we had to go thru to ensure that non cleared
individuals could not see or access the equipment we worked on.

As to you picking up classified documents and reading them, I am almost
positive you would have to sign several documents before you were allowed
access to an area where classified materiel exists. One of them would address
that very scenario. The rest of the facility I worked in was classified Secret.
When we had visitors (mostly military brass) everything had to be covered,
screen blanked, etc. It was a major pain as all classified material was
inventoried before anyone got there and again after everyone left.