But does it have calories or not?

The issue I see is things that provide "sweetness" but have no calories. They can (and do) trigger an insulin response, but nothing for the insulin to act on. Hence, they tilt toward increasing insulin resistance (the main problem in type 2 diabetes).

Type 2 diabetes was practically non-existent prior to the last few decades, which coincides with the proliferation of artificial sweeteners in all things "food".

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>