These are all very valuable suggestions.  We definitely want to put more of
these in place.  Even though we are not flush with extra cash, I need to start
looking at it as the price of being in business

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Mark Radabaugh
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:55 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Employee Retention - Benefits, Insurance, etc.

We do a lot of the things that have been mentioned later in the thread.

Health Insurance, we pay 90%, employees pay 10% and they have a HSA plan that
they can put pretax money into for discretionary and dedutable expenses
($2600/$5200).  This is much better than most plans at other companies.
Health insurance varies by state but you might want to try finding a ‘MEWA’
based plan - Multiple Employer Welfare Association I believe is what it stands
for.  It’s a dept. of Labor arrangement originally for unions offering
insurance but it dodges all of the ACA and can be considerably less expensive.
In Ohio Anthem/Blue Cross offers them through the Chamber of Commerce.
Dropped our costs about 20% this year for basically the same coverage.
Include Dental/Vision/Prescription.

Short and Long term disability insurance (separate from workers comp - they are
different).   It’s pretty inexpensive but a big help for an employee that has a
issue that keeps them from working. Provides enough money that they can live
and reimburse you for the health insurance so they don’t lose that.   Your not
stuck as employer having to either pay for the health insurance for an employee
that’s not working, or be the ass that fires the guy that’s sick and he loses
his health insurance.

For retirement look at SIMPLE-IRA’s - they are less expensive than 401k’s to
administer, can match 3% of wages, and the money is not something you are
responsible for the liability of.  The funds go to the plan administrator (like
Edward Jones) and you don’t have any real liability for the shitty investments
the employees choose.

Other little things - cell phones for the outside guys with an allowance for
personal use (which we never track), uniforms, steel toe/shank boots for
installers every 18 months, winter and rain gear, free Internet (if they are on
our system), pop/water and food on occasion, cookouts every couple of month -
usually let everyone off at 3:30 or so and have food/beer around.

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex
22690 Pemberville Rd
Luckey, OH 43443
419-837-5015 x1021
419-261-5996 (cell)
m...@amplex.net<mailto:m...@amplex.net>

On May 11, 2017, at 9:18 AM, Paul McCall