If you are using a DC UPS, there is no switching required on your part. The load, batteries and AC line in are all separate from each other. If AC line voltage is active, power comes from there. If AC line voltage is not active, then power comes from the batteries. If the controller has LVD, it will maintain until the batteries get to the LVD. If it doesn't have LVD, then the controller will maintain until the batteries are depleted.

If you are just using a smart charger, you hook the load directly to the batteries, and hang tough. No switching required here either.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>