Something sounds seriously broken there as OSPF should always have a lower
route preference on any router (not sure what you’re using here) so any lookups
within your network will always be preferred.

I get your point though .. if these guys are “experts” then for them it should
be pretty trivial to diagnose… actually sounds like you have too many filters
in place that are causing the problem (just a guess but no reason to use
filters in OSPF typically)