You can still net meter provided the power meter on your home does not have the
ability to detect power being fed into the grid.
It may not be legal, but it is easy to do.

From: Lewis Bergman
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:27 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Vendor for super high efficiency (Sunpower,etc) PV panels

Thanks Forrest

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017, 7:59 PM Forrest Christian (List Account)
<li...@packetflux.com> wrote:

  So,  it looks like the only option for net metering in Texas is SolarCity.

  Without retail net metering, things get more expensive.  Without batteries
you effectively can only offset your live load.. excess is effectively given to
the utility.  You could add some batteries to offset more but that is even more
expensive.

  It sounds like SolarCity got around this by becoming a utility which allows
them to effectively net meter.