Benefits are huge. I still miss that health, dental, optical, life, tuition reimbursement and matching 401k that I had when I worked for our local hospital.

Steve Jones wrote:
I worked for a company once that did a cool thing, they started you at a fairly low wage (like 7 at the time, i think minimum wage was in the 5 or 6 dollar range) they had the regular 30 60 90 day performance raises with am annual raise, and yearly profit sharing bonus. But they had .25 raises you could earn for various things that required a little motivation and were designed to make you take ownership. One was to be able to identify all the motivational posters in the plant, another was to be able to tell the history of the company, all fairly easy, like doing Aplus, but weeded out the non motivated employees. They also offered one off 500 dollar bonuses for any successful ideas that increased productivity in a measurable way.
Wages are earned as should the rate behind those raises.
Here the boss starts low but gives good raises for a while before it stagnates. But we do have good insurance that was worth about 24k a couple years ago when i priced similar coverage, thats an important "wage" factor to account for when discussing rate of pay with prospective employees, especially in the current insurance environment.