Don't forget that Sterling is doing ethernet, not PON. I've plugged in a pair of 40km ethernet SM SFP's at 3' away and they work fine because they'll turn down the tx power.

With PON there's a single Tx source for the entire network, it can't turn down because you may have subs at 1km and other subs at 20km.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Josh Reynolds" <j...@kyneticwifi.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 8/2/2017 1:29:28 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] UBNT OLT Transition from Active Ethernet to GPON

To clarify, there is no real intelligent attenuation on any optical product I have ever seen. Some can do a 2-3db depending on the product, but it's never really a truly intelligent system with bidirectional communication between the optics to negotiate power levels.

I may be wrong but this is just my experience.