And that example is where a case can be made for free market principles. You got how many hundreds of thousands or millions of customers on a carrier in a large market. Netflix probably figured it was in their best interest to co-lo at the carrier's facilities so they don't lose customers. And somehow that's extortion by the big bad ISP.

Perfect analogy. I live right off of I55. Nothing but corn and bean fields for decades along the frontage roads. The farmers retired and sold the land. Now there are some big warehouses. The roads are being widened and repaired, paid by the developer. And why should they not pay for it when the majority of the traffic will be theirs? And heavy traffic at that. They weren't asked to pay for future I55 repairs because of their traffic, just the access roads into their terminals.

So is it really too much to ask the edge provider pays for the interconnection? IMO, no.

On 9/28/2017 7:10 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
A few years ago Netflix colo'd their CDN servers in a Comcast data center to resolve an overloaded peering issue.  Performance improved for Netflix users served by that Comcast data center, usage on the peering connection went back to normal.  Netflix pays a monthly fee for Colo just as anybody else would.  Most observers in the media noted that performance improved after Netflix started paying Comcast and called it blackmail or extortion.  Bad ISP! Stop charging Netflix for Colo!  We need Neutrality!

So yeah, I agree with you.

------ Original Message ------
From: "George Skorup" <george.sko...@cbcast.com <mailto:george.sko...@cbcast.com>>
To: af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
Sent: 9/28/2017 1:25:29 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Wanna throw up in your mouth?

I thought half or most of the issue was the "edge providers"?

Consumer wants edge providers' content.
Edge provider makes money from the consumer. Advertising. The content itself. Etc.
Edge provider doesn't want to pay carrier for transit.
Both sides bitch. Peering is overloaded.
Gov't steps in to "fix" it.

Data caps and speed tiers weren't dissolved with NN. So what does it do for the consumer? Or for that matter, the carrier? Who does it "protect" other than the edge provider? Seems it's only protecting their profits.