From: Brian Webster
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:04 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] AT & T Rural broadband

This is an old map but you get the idea. There are a lot of places on the east
coast that have unserved areas that WISP’s don’t cover. Upstate NY is a good
example. Trees, terrain, lack of towers combined with low household density
make it an almost impossible task to make a business case to build to those
unserved areas, even as a WISP. The sad thing is that even if the government
paid someone the whole cost to build out the network to these rural places, the
only people that could still justify being able to serve these customers are a
larger operator who can cost average those low density areas over their
profitable markets. I looked and looked at a lot of regions of the state and
the numbers were ugly. Rural parts of MA, CT and the other New England states
are much the same situation. The mid Atlantic states that have those towering
pine trees and relatively flat terrain are real ugly to design wireless
networks for, 80 to 100 foot pine trees densely planted? No thanks. It was hard
enough to design cellular coverage along the cleared highway paths through
those trees.

The map is deceiving too, while it looks like a lot of unserved white areas,
one has to look at where the population actually lives to has a more accurate
view of the problem.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com