http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/water_loss_acid_stratification_and_surface_charge
Battery university claims it happens when you're below 80% charge. Seems to support Chuck's argument.

And yeah, AGM is said to not stratify at all. That's why they last longer.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Chuck McCown" <ch...@wbmfg.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 10/16/2017 12:27:33 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Batt Prices

OK, so why is that not a problem for large telco flooded cells? We never had any bubbles.
Do an equalization charge maybe once a year.

-----Original Message----- From: Robert
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 10:25 AM
To: af@afmug.com

Statification of the acid...   Eventually the denser fluid will pool at
the bottom if not agitated.   Bubble generation is necessary for
agitation...