A lot of the reason why it took us so long to get even started on the
rackinjector was trying to find a way to do what everyone knows they want,
and what I'd like to sell.   Which is largely the items which keep coming
up, specifically the front side swappable cards and the software
configuration.

We looked at front side changeable.   In order to do that at the volumes we
were talking about, just the chassis would have been around $250 in
reasonable quantities.  No electronics other than the chassis, and a
passive backplane card.   And there was the whole mismatch between what we
thought a reasonable quantity was and what the enclosure manufacturer
thought was a reasonable quantity, so we would have been forced to buy
(based on current rackinjector shipping volumes) around 2-3 years worth
upfront of the chassis to make this work.

In relation to the software configurable issue, it's a lot of the same
thing:   If you take every single possible jumper position and add a
software switch,  you need to add somewhere between $1-2 per jumper of
electronics cost.   By the time you get it on the board you have to figure
about $2-4 per jumper.   A single port on a powerinjector has 11 jumper
positions, so $22-$44 added cost per port.    Then there's the space, so
you'd probably need a bigger board and/or a double sided load or multiple
stacked boards to fit it all on.   Generally you're now looking at a 4 port
board which is easily $200 more expensive.   Would you pay $350 for a 4
port port injection card, and then still have to pay for a chassis and
control board?  Probably not.   And the level of engineering on this board
would require us to sell thousands before we got a return on investment,
which isn't likely based on the cost.   Not to factor in that the first
port-configuration software bug would likely cost us lots more in paying
for radios we cooked.

I am *absolutely* not saying that this isn't going to happen.  I continue
to spend a few hours every once in a while trying to crack this nut and get
the costs down.   There are ways to do it on the cheap but then you end up
with ports which fall over during the slightest provocation.   Although I
try very hard not to overengineer things, I also refuse to ship a product
which won't survive most common fault conditions.

We also looked at putting a DC-DC converter on each port to provide
individually settable power.   Back when radios were 7W/each that was
doable.  Now they're 50+ watts, not so much.

The whole need for different configurations for radios is going away
anyways.  Almost every modern shipping radio today needs 48V and is
polarity agnostic.   If you see 802.3af or 802.3at or similar, that means
you're pretty much guaranteed that it will handle 48V and the polarity
doesn't care.  The jumpers are there to support older radios which need
something other than 48V on some reasonably standard set of pins.   In the
cambium world, this pretty much is confined to the 450 and earlier radios,
and a few newer SM's.    You could set all of the jumpers in the
rackinjector to power a 450i and pretty much any modern AP will receive
power just fine off of it.   The higher power radios (medusa, airfiber,
etc), would need all 4 pairs jumpered, but there again, all modern 4 pair
powered radios will work off of this.  In fact, most 2 pair powered radios
will work off of it as well.