They're letter basically states that nobody else can use specific 5ghz
channels (which are "the commons") for certain purposes, because they're
using them. How is that not claiming an exclusive right to the commons?

Forrest's loading zone example isn't even quite accurate, because that
would only be trying to claim exclusive use at a specific time - this guy
wants everybody else kept out of the loading zone 24/7, because he might
need to make an emergency beer delivery at any point during the day, and if
somebody else happens to there he won't be able to fulfill his contract