I agree that those are the items to focus on with OSHA.

> Item 1:
> "The employer did not require a competent person to inspect....."

Except that is incorrect.  The person who fell WAS a competent person.  He held
a “Competent Climber” certification card from CITCA.  A significant portion of
that training includes assessing if a tower is safe to climb in accordance with
OSHAs rules.  A competent person is not a structural engineer.  A competent
person is someone who has been trained on assessing if a tower is safe to climb
in accordance with OSHAs rules.

> Item 2:
> "...the employer did not ensure complete personal fall arrest systems were
> properly used".

A policy was in place.  The person knew how to use it properly and was required
by company policy to follow it.  Our Employee Handbook states under “Guidelines
for Conduct” that “The following kinds of conduct are absolutely prohibited: …
Violation of any and all safety rules.”  At some point, there needs to be
personal accountability.

I agree that being humble and asking for help and guidance is the best
approach, so I’ll show them what we’ve done up til now and see what they
suggest for improvement.

David Sovereen

Mercury Network Corporation
2719 Ashman Street, Midland, MI 48640
989.837.3790 x151 office | 888.866.4638 toll free |  989.837.3780 fax

Telephone  |  Internet  |  Security Alarm Monitoring

david.sover...@mercury.net <mailto:david.sover...@mercury.net>
www.mercury.net <http://www.mercury.net/>